Likewise the Nyingmapa Gonpa later became a Kadampa Gonpa. There are no records of Lamas and their Institution before 1275. In 1275, when Choegyal Phagpa returned from China, he visited this temple and transformed it into a Sakyapa Gonpa.
The monastery belongs to the Sakya school of Tibetan Buddhism and was the main seat of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo and Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö. However it is noted for its eclecticism of the Rimé movement and its openness to all of the teaching sects of Tibetan Buddhism.